WRDMedium Questions to Robbo

Banging in the less than MASSIVE questions to the less than superstar punters TONIGHT. Last week I received an email from an old face. Literally. LOLoutLoud. He's a full THREE years OLDer than me.

WTFuck?!

This week's Medium Questions on my world famous Weekly Review of Dance Music are answered by a bloke I used to live with in Muswell Hill. Not like that, fellas! He was/is as straight as a fucking die. Winking smiley face. His name is Robbo and before he got to know me the only two bands he would listen to were Oasis, The Charlatans, The Libertines and The Beatles. I am extremely proud to say that I introduced him to nightclubs, dance music and ecstasy E tablets. Also MDMA, cocaine, spliff cigs and Ketamin powder. And poppers. By the time I finished with him he not only knew who Ivan Smagghe was but he could also sing the lyrics to Drop The Pressure...WORD FOR WORD.

Here is a picture of Robbo and I in Heaven nightclub. Know what I mean? I am the one with the blue eyes.


NAME: Robbo
AGE: 34
LOCATION: das Capital
STUFF YOU DO: No blog job

Q) Robert, tell us how you first got into dance music and night clubbing?
A) Tonks mate. I first got into dance music through indie music. I was a big fan of the Charlatans and whilst flicking through the C section of the CD's in my hometown library I came across a band called The Chemical Brothers and their album 'Exit Planet Dust'. I liked the cover so flipped it over and saw that the Charlatans singer, Tim Burgess, was singing on a track called 'Life is Sweet'. I loaned the CD recorded it onto a tape and then listened to it whilst doing my local paper round. I was 20 at the time and life certainly was sweet after that discovery. I listened to the Chemical Brothers, Underworld, Prodigy etc for a few more years before moving to London and getting invited out clubbing and starting to get into more serious dance music. I regularly attended Bugged Out! and also attended Foreign Muck. I have still not made my mind up as to whether I actually liked Foreign Muck even after all these years.




Q) Do you take Ecstasy pill tablets? If so, where and when did you first try it and what was your night like?
A) I did, but not anymore. I first tried it at Manumission in Ibiza in 2003. Nothing happened. I then tried it at The Cross, 2004. Nothing happened. I then tried it again at The Cross at the TDK Weekender and it blew the roof off my mind. I was listening to a band whom I cannot recall and do not remember the song. But it was the best. Song. Ever. It was an incredible evening and I had many, many more after that.
Having thought about it though I am not sure if that is correct. The first time it worked may have been at Bugged Out! - either way it was truly a life changing experience.



Q) How would you describe yourself when absolutely fucking terminated in, for example, Club Fabric?
A) I think I am very happy and a nicer human-being. I have more affinity with the people I know and am genuinely interested in their lives. I also dance a lot more and the music becomes more lucid.

Q) Tell us in detail about the best night out clubbing you've ever had.
A) This is very difficult to answer. There have been so many that I honestly do not have a stand out night. I will share some highlights though:

The first times I did E successfully
Wally Lopez playing one last song at The End which seemed to go on forever (probably just 20 minutes).
Erol playing 'We are your Friends' for the first time, before it became really cheesy.
Jacques Lu Cont at the Cross playing that Abba sample that later became the Madonna song.
Being allowed to jump the massive queue to see Soulwax and Erol at Plastic People.
Coming back on the tube on a Monday morning when everyone else was going to work after going to an illegal rave in Shepherd's Bush.
'Everywhere' by Fleetwood Mac at Club Egg

Most of all though, it was the moments that I spent with my mates particularly you Tonks, just having really heartfelt conversations. You are a complete and utter sexist nob* on this blog but I know deep down that you are much nice than that.

I am sure there are many more moments, but I guess, like they say about the sixties, if you can remember them then you weren't really there.




Q) What are your plans for the rest of the year, clubbing wise?
A) I have almost quit clubbing these days. I have no idea what is happening anymore. I would love to go to at least one festival though and go out in the sun listening to music all day.

Q) Would you support a campaign for Fabric to change the layout of Room 1, so that the DJ is placed on the stage and the current DJ box is turned into podiums used by professional British podium dancers, thus creating more jobs in the local community, therefore boosting the UK economy?
A) I would support this idea in part. I do not think the podium dancers should be professionals though. I think Club Fabric should copy the idea from the fourth plinth of Trafalgar Square and open it up to clubbers for 15 minutes at a time for them to be able to express themselves in whatever way they wish. They should all pay a fee to charity for this pleasure and therefore the less privileged members of our society will benefit and the podium people will feel happier for helping them out.




There you go, a Wally Lopez reference from a bloke who has almost quit clubbing. ONLY in your world famous Weekly Review of Dance Music. ONLY on THIS uniform resource collector, ONLY every Tuesday. Each Tuesday. I am keeping YOU up to date with ALL the latest dance news and reviews and you fucking KNOW it.

If you want to meet me, and Robbo, this year we'll both be at Lovebox in June on the Saturday. I'll be wearing a white t-shirt and jeans so if you see me...don't be shy, pop over and say hello.

Follow me, please, on Twitter by ringing etc, etc: @tonkawrdm

*I do not think you are a nob, by the way.