MASSIVE QUESTIONS to ACID PAULI

This week's MASSIVE QUESTIONS are piped live and direct through your monitor screen and filtered immediately into your eye balls from Germany. Last week, I travelled alone to Germany with one of my best mates, Robbo, to meet one of Germany's favourite musicians: Acid Pauli. Otherwise known (AKA) as Martin Gretschmann, Console, AC/DC Pauli, Atzen Paule, Homepauli, Japaner, Kevin & Paul, Kevin (45), Martin Console, Paul (42) and Tatzen Paule.

Martin Gretschmann has also been in the groups 13 & God, Anna Karenina, Heimkonsole, Notwist and The Toxic (12).



A little while ago in time he released Mst. It's an interesting album which I find perfect for writing my blog, the Weekly Review of Dance Music, to. It's out on Clown and Sunset and, in short, it's fucking brilliant. If you don't buy it straight after reading this interview you really need to take a look at yourself in the mirror and ask the question, "WHY don't I need this year's best down-tempo, ambiance sweating beast of an album on my iPod?"

Seriously, Mst is like listening to a lava lamp. In a very good way.

By the way, if any of my research turns out to be bollocks I'm telling you now and ADMITTING that I got all of the above info from Discogs. Write to Discogs with any discrepancies you want to highlight because I couldn't give a fucking shit. This post is all about the deep conversation Acid Pauli and I enjoyed whilst walking through the streets of Germany. We hit so many bars and clubs in Germany that evening that I can't even remember what fucking city I was in.



Read on and educate yourself:

Q) For anyone unfamiliar to Acid Pauli could you explain what you do, where you do it and why you do it?
A) I make club-related music. I play everywhere they want me to play and I feel right with playing. I make music because it's some kind of meditation for me.

Q) Your album as Acid Pauli, Mst, has been met with widespread acclaim, your schedule takes you to some of the best venues around the world. Has establishing yourself in dance music been an uphill struggle or something that came fairly easy?
A) It hasn't been a struggle that much, because I always played where and what I wanted. Somehow a lot of people seemed to like what I do and invited me to interesting places with good people. Also Acid Pauli has never been my only project in music so it always has been some kinda fun project...



Q) Growing up in Germany were there any local influences, club nights, DJs, promoters that made you consider what you do now an option?Or did you look beyond the borders for inspiration?
A) I am always trying to look beyond borders.

Q) How does the Clown and Sunset working environment compare to working on your own or in band situations?
A) I am not involved too much in the working environment, but it's kinda similar. Travelling, interviews, playing shows, studio...



Q) Open or closed hi-hat?
A) How about no hi-hats at all?!

Q) What can we expect from you for the remainder of this year? Any new projects on the horizon or does the Mst juggernaut trundle on in an endless flow of mundane interviews and soul-sapping promotional exercises?
A) Definitely not! Besides a new Notwist record we are working on at the moment, there will be another release I am just preparing...be surprised.

Q) Angela Merkel?
A) What can I expect from politicians who attend soccer games instead of doing their jobs?



Q) What is the best present anyone has ever bought you for Christmas?
A) A teddy-bear.

Q) How did you come up with the moniker, ‘Acid Pauli’? Did you ever toy with the idea of prefixing it with ‘DJ’ like a proper DJ (‘DJ Acid Pauli’)?
A) Acid Pauli started as a Live-act and thus never had the need of the DJ...later on I didn't think about putting the DJ somewhere...The name comes from my nick name "Pauli" and a friend who shouted "Aciiiid Pauliiii" while I was doing one of my first live-sets alone...improvising just with software, about 12 years ago.

Q) Do you prefer working solo or as part of a production collabo?
A) Both!

Q) What is Andreas Ammer really like?
A) How do you mean? He's a friend with whom I do radio-plays together. I think you can google him and you'll find a lot of information...



Q) Do you have any advice for any young DJs or producers reading this?
A) It's difficult without knowing what those producers want. If they want to become rich and famous I'd recommend reading KLF. If they want to know how to side-chain compress a bassline, I'd recommend reading the manual of the compressor.

Other than this, they can write me a mail with particular questions.

Q) ‘Hit Em Up’ by Tupac feat. The Outlawz is my favourite beef track. Have you ever been close to starting beef with anyone in the dance music community?
A) Damn, I am getting to old for this, I guess. I don't know what "starting beef with anyone" means...



Q) What is your preferred state: stone cold sober or absolutely fucking terminated?
A) First.

Q) Have you ever met Ricardo Villalobos? If so, what was he like and did you get his autograph?
A) I am not sure, think I met him long time ago before he got famous, but the only autograph I have is Jeff Mill's on my 909 after he borrowed it for a gig.



Q) You look very serious in press photographs but I detect a hint of mischief in your eyes. Are the media demands for moody looking DJs appropriate given that the people who actually go to clubs do drugs, listen to their favourite music and have some of the happiest times of their lives?
A) I don't think about things like that when I am standing in front of a camera. I just feel more comfortable when there is no camera in front of me. Maybe this is the reason why I look that serious.

Q) Slow and circular insertions or fast and hard, piston-like thrusts?
A) First.



Q) Are there any plans for a 13 & God UK tour? If so, would I be able to get VIP AAA back-stage access and an exclusive interview for WRDM when you play London?
A) Sure you would, but there are no plans for a show at the moment.

Best wishes
Martin

What a lovely man. I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing Martin the very best of wishes in all of his future artistic endeavours.

I'll be back in the next few hours (24 or 48 hours) with a comprehensive review of Bloc 2012. From what I can remember (winking smiley face) it was a belter! You know that old saying, if you can't remember that much of what happened during the night before then you must have had a really good time at the party you went to? Well, that turn of phrase certainly applies to my weekend at Bloc. Find out what happened, what I did and what I thought about it all on WRDM soon.

These are the days, lads. These are the days.

Buy Mst from your local record shop or on here: Mst FOR SALE HERE

Follow ME on Twitter: @tonkawrdm

LIKE me on The Face Book: FACEBOOK

Send fan mail to me: tonkawrdm@gmail.com