MASSIVE QUESTIONS with Danny Rampling

I don't know who they are but they say you should never meet your heroes. They can fuck right off because this time last week I was sat in the swanky Met Bar in London spilling Cosmo cocktails all down my vest and sneering at the sweethearts tramping the rainy streets outside as I met and chatted with a hero of mine, and he was nothing less than generous and charming.

Danny Rampling's contribution to furthering the cause of dance music in the UK is beyond argument, as is his furtherings outside of the Great British Isles. He is without a doubt one of the first Englishmen to swallow an ecstasy E tablet in Ibiza.



Click went Record on the dictaphone in my pocket as I secretly recorded our conversation. Here is the transcript:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. For anyone unfamiliar with the name Danny Rampling could you tell them who you are, what you do and why you do it?
A. I have been DJing for over 20 years and created the blueprint for the UK rave scene and electronic music explosion in late 80s.

Q. Has continuing to stay relevant in the music industry been a walk in the park or a MASSIVE pain in the arse?
A. Whatever we chose to do in life as a craft, when you get to the top of your game it's important to be mindful of changes within the business.

Fashions come and go and we in Britain are somewhat critical of success at times. Staying relevant is a challenge in itself and to stay on path is by keeping focused and doing what you do with passion and positive energy.

I don't waste precious time concerning myself with critics and negative energies.

Whatever we do, if we do it with love and passion to the craft results happen. The music industry is a beast at times and you don't let it bite too hard. If it does, you get up and keep going.


Q. Open or closed hi-hat?
A. Good question. Both open and closed. It ain't just about the hi-hat, it's the melody that gives you goose bumps from a good tune and strong catchy lyrics over tired old vocal samples.

Q. What made you choose the moniker Danny Rampling as a DJ name? Did you ever toy with prefixing it with DJ like a proper DJ (DJ Danny Rampling), or suffixing it with something more exciting like Sub Wooooofa (DJ Sub Wooooofa) or Beatz Manipu-L8R (DJ Beatz Manipu-L8R)?
A. There was no need to add Dj to my name as I'm proud of who I am and for not avoiding the tax man. Was in the early days of Kiss pirate radio, given an adopted name of Rampo for a while.

The market has changed with DJs now and often real names are no longer used. Allesso Avicci as example.


Q. You're playing with Mark Moore in one of the London Eye pods in November. Can you remind him that he hasn't answered the MASSIVE QUESTIONS I sent to him in December last year please?
A.

Q. What can the lucky people who get into the pod expect from your party - are you tailoring a special set, how long does the party go on for?
A. There will be Three DJs: myself and my wife Ilona Rampling and a dear friend, and original Shoom DJ, Mark Moore, who created an early acid house number one with S-Express We will play many Shoom classics and have a quick hour party over London skies.


Q. Could you please arrange 2 x guests in the pod for me and Mrs Tonka?
A. I wish I could. Red Bull gave us only 2 guests sadly, and all others are competition winners. Thank you for the support. Let me know if you need anything else.

Q. I spend a lot of time in Southwark. Is the gym you started Shoom in still around?
A. It's a data storage office as you enter Thrale Street on Southwark Bridge entrance to the street, first black door on the right hand side.


Q. Stone cold sober or absolutely fucking terminated?
A. Often stone cold sober and at work as a DJ: just a couple of drinks to get into the flow of the party. Seldom been terminated, not a good look at all.

Q. Do you have any advice for any of my younger readers who are eager to get themselves into the dance music industry or should they just buy Everything You Need to Know About DJing and Success?
A. Well, yes, there's a wealth of advice and tips in my book. I spent two years writing it so that would be a starting point as an additional tool.

Educate yourself in music production and DJ courses. Learn all you can daily as it will help greatly, and never stop the desire to learn; very important. And show up, get out there and network to get results as no one will come into your home and offer you an amazing DJ slot or record deal.


Q. Lorraine Kelly or Carol Vorderman?
A. Beg your pardon?! I'm a married man and very happily in love with my wife.

Q. What kind of music do you listen to at home?
A. House. Electronic. Chill out. Classical. Rock. Reggae. Pop. All different styles.


Q. How does playing out in Asia compare to the rest of the world?
A. Everywhere has the vibe, the spirit of club culture, which we have collectively shaped over the years. I love playing Asia as I can take time out and visit beautiful beaches and historic sites and eat wonderful food.

Q. Have The Millionaire Hippies run out of money?
A. They went with the demise of Deconstruction Records.



Q. Anything else you want to plug?
A. I have just launched a new music download site with a wealth of hard to find classic music in partnership with Mastermix.

The site is called: Rampling Digital.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a lovely man! Please join me in shaking Danny Rampling's hand, patting him on the back and wishing him all the warmest for the future. If I manage to get myself into one of the pods next week I'll still give the Shoom one a 10/10.

Please Follow Danny on Twitter by clicking here: @dannyrampling

Like him on Facebook too: facebook.com/danny-rampling

Get on the outside of this:



Mark Moore: if you're reading this, get in touch.

I'll be back next week with loads more of this kind of thing and a little something extra so stay with me, please don't ever desert me for The Daily Mash or that Being Boiled YouTube channel. I can do better, I know I can, just trust me. Things will pick up and I'll be writing posts that WILL make you smile and you WILL love me again. You will. I'm the same person I've always been, I swear. You just need to stay with me, ok? Please. Just stay.

Follow me here: @tonkawrdm

Like me there: facebook.com/tonkawrdm

Email me NOW: tonkawrdm@gmail.com