WRDM53

Yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo!

Home boy.
On their new album, Public Enemy Live From Metropolis Studios, Chuck D and Flavor Flav start every song by shouting, "yo", back and fourth for about two minutes before eventually shouting about something else over the top of a load of hip-hop beats, James Brown trumpet samples and Circo Loco siren noises in front of a muted, middle/media-class (probably) audience.

I went for a job interview at Metropolis Studios in 2011. I don't recall the job title, but the role involved a lot of property management, responsibility for a couple of subordinates and a load of admin across a few different departments. It was a proper job. I interviewed well, and was offered the job on the spot. I said, "How much, love?" The interviewer said, "Excuse me?" I said, "How much? How much am ya payin'?" She said. "Eighteen thousand pounds per year, Tonka." I said, "How much?" She said, "Eighteen thousand." I said, "How much?" She said, "Eighteen thousand pounds per year." I said, "How much?"



This conversation went on and on and on until I finally stood up, left the meeting room and exited the building. I walked all the way back to WRDMHQ shaking my head and whispering the words, "Eighteen thousand pounds per year for all that work. Deary me." I made a vow to myself that very day to NEVER follow my dreams by attempting to get a normal job in the music industry because the rates of pay are a fucking disgrace. Metropolis might be a world class recording studio complex, but they don't half offer shit wages to the staff who don't do the cool jobs.

Saying that, I think Public Enemy Live From Metropolis Studios is alright. I'm not a massive fan of Public Enemy, to be honest. I prefer the Notorious B.I.G. Dr. Dre, Snoop Doggy Dogg, Jay-Z, early Ice Cube, NWA, Nas' first album, Nate Dogg, the Beastie Boys, some Q-Tip and Tupac Shakur because they rap about the things that matter to ME. All Public Enemy seem to care about is politics, standing up to corporate bullies and encouraging a collective social power to the African American population in a positive, liberal way. It's boring rap compared to the rappers who rap about shagging women, Uzi 9 millimetres, dosh and clobber.

If you like Public Enemy, buy Public Enemy Live From Metropolis Studios. Just because I don't like them, and I'm not a fan of Metropolis Studios, it doesn't mean you won't like this release, does it? Give it a go. Plus, I'm about to score it a louder than a bomb rattling eight out of ten! It's released on Friday 4 September: Public Enemy Live From Metropolis Studios

Public Enemy Live From Metropolis Studios
8/10



My very dear friend, Dan Beaumont, released Spirit Talkin' earlier this summer, and they all played it from Bournemouth to Bishopbriggs. Everyone was playing it, especially me. Since about the first week of June, I played it at the beginning of every post I wrote on here. I still do, in fact. Spirit Talkin' has replaced the National Anthem at WRDMHQ, and until the lads at Work Them Records supersede it with something more stirring, it will always be played at WRDMHQ before I open up my laptop.

Hang on a minute, I've just received an email with the subject: DPR PRESS RELEASE: Dan Beaumont "Spirit Dubbin’ (inc. Patrik Sjeren, J Dubs and Spencer Parker remixes)" - Work Them Records (28-09-2015). Let's have a read of this then...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...fuck me. They're only releasing a remix pack of Spirit Talkin' called Spirit Dubbin' where all the remixes are DUBS!!! Nice one! And after reading the rest of the email, I'm licking my lips at this one AND rubbing my tummy. See below for details (I've bullet-pointed the only information you need with regard to the remixes themselves):

Dan Beaumont
Spirit Dubbin’ (inc. Patrik Sjeren, J Dubs and Spencer Parker remixes)
Work Them Records / WTR024
Vinyl Release Date:   28 August 2015
Release Date:             28 September 2015

Patrik Sjeren Dub
  • Chilling production 
  • Ghostly echoes
  • Tantalising synths
J Dubs Remix
  • Understated percussion
  • Undulating bassline
  • Infectious claps
Spencer Parker Workdub
  • Rumbling kicks
  • Shuffling hats
  • Stripped back
I've not listened to any of these yet, but it looks fucking brilliant and, knowing Dan Beaumont, it WILL be fucking brilliant.

Dan Beaumont - Spirit Dubbin’
9/10


"Support from Magda, Solomun, Paco Osuna, Adriatique, Moodyman, I mean Moodymanc, DJ Vela, Paul Loraine, Kosmas Epsilon, Marco Resmann, Markus Enochson, Lee Holman" No, we're not talking about the latest hit by Richie Hawtin or Heartthrob, I'm talking about the new FUCKING BRILLIANT song by the upcoming upstart and upwardly mobile upper dropper, Joe Europe; Wasted On You on Falk.

Joe Europe hails from the continent of Europe, and is forever writing about dance music here and releasing dance music here. If I were to compose a testimonial on Joe Europe's LinkedIn page that relates to this new release, I'd say that Joe is a consummate professional who plans his dance music work meticulously to ensure that his tracks are delivered on time without compromising quality. He is an excellent communicator and dance music producer who quickly engenders trust in both his label employees, customers and those who work for him. There is never any doubt that, no matter what obstacles may get in his way, he will get the job done. The job in this instance is Wasted On You, a dance track that is about as dance as you can get in this day and age. Know what I mean?

If you don't procure Wasted On You by Joe Europe on Falk, you're a fucking div. It's out on Monday 14 September. Open this link to go about buying it: falkrecs.com

Joe Europe - Wasted On You
10/10

Worra lorra reviews I just did in one go! I'm spent. Joe Europe just nicks it there at the end with a blood-curdling ten out of ten. WRDM is definitely back on form, isn't it? It is though, isn't it? It just is. And I've not banged on once about the liars at VICE taking months to pay me and then plonking £75 into my account two hours after publishing WRDM52 (Tonka's Orders: Go Fuck Yourself) again, have I?
The Weekly Review of Dance Music will be back next week with either MASSIVE QUESTIONS with Martyn Hare or a feature on all the different people you'll meet in a nightclub, or all the different stages of your clubbing life, or all the things I pretended to overhear at the Notting Hill Carnival on Sunday 30 August whilst grooving and skanking to the cool sounds of Tinie Tempah, Skream, Katy B, David Zowie, J-Cush, Oneman and many, many more who are sound-tracking the delicious, mouth-watering and Thug Passion-tasting Alizé bar in association with Rinse FM on the Rough But Sweet sound-system with a spliff hanging out the side of my mouth and a borrowed Bobby's helmet sat on my head at a jaunty angle.

DRINK ALIZÉ AND LISTEN TO RINSE FM.

Please Like me: facebook/tonkawrdm
Please Follow me: @tonkawrdm
Please Email me: tonkawrdm@gmail.com
Please watch Tonka's Week every Friday: theransomnote.co.uk/tonkas-week